I am compiling two annotated reading lists for young adults on the following themes: digital citizenship and career and identity exploration. This is for a course I am taking this semester about assisting the struggling adolescent reader.

I am looking for a variety of high-interest texts to add to both lists. The definition for "text" here is quite liberal. I can use traditional print resources such as novels, nonfiction books, articles, poems, and song lyrics, but I am also interested in electronic and interactive resources like web sites, games, film, television, etc.

Any suggestions for materials that might engage reluctant readers and stimulate discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding the first theme, I am looking for texts that explore the issues, opportunities, challenges, and responsibilities of growing up in a digital world.

For the second theme about career/identity exploration I need culturally relevant resources that engage young people in thinking about this question: "What in the world am I going to do with the rest of my life?"

Please share your favorite resources!

Tags: English, careerexploration, careers, digitalcitizenship, reading, safety, secondary

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a documentary called "Triumph of the Nerds" I use it in my classroom to educate students on the Digital Revolution. I have found that not only does it stimulate discussion on the topic it has also inspired students to further explore some of the topics discussed in the film as well as to see how things have developed since the films release in the mid 90s. Good luck!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service